You can find a surrogate mother on your own or using a surrogacy agency. If you decide to go independent, it is highly likely that you will need to share your story. If none know about you and your story, if none knows you are specifically looking for a surrogate, how would someone want to help you?
Whenever you ask a surrogate why she chose a particular family, it comes down to the connection she felt when reading and looking intended parents’ story.
We give you ten ideas for finding a surrogate mother on your own.
- The more information you share, the better. People really want to help but they need emotionally connect with your story.
- Tell everyone you know. Share your dream of becoming parents with family and friends. Share your interest in pursuing surrogacy and ask if they know of anyone. These informal talks will also serve you to ask them indirectly.
- Talk with your fertility clinic and ask them if they know of anyone interested.
- Get in contact with your fertility lawyer and see if they know of anyone.
- Post about it on Facebook and Twitter. Also, you can create a Facebook page and asked friends/family to share it or search for Facebook groups on surrogacy.
- Set up a Google alert for surrogacy news and check out articles in blogs and online newspapers regarding surrogacy. If they allow comments, post a comment sharing that you are looking for a surrogate mom and make sure you include your email.
- Create your own free blog with WordPress or Blogger and share your story
- Create surrogacy classified ads
- Check and/or post your story in surrogacy forums.
- Send your story to local newspapers and TV, if they publish it you can open a lot of doors.
- Create a profile in an online surrogacy community (i.e MySurrogateMom.com). In this post you will find tips on creating an Intended Parents Profile.
These ideas require you to be open about sharing your story, but if you want to find a surrogate mother in Canada and/or USA on your own, you will have to get out of your comfort zone. If you can’t do it, you really might have to consider using a surrogacy agency instead.
Please note that forums and online groups are a good opportunity to meet potential surrogates however they are not regulated or monitored so you need to use good judgment and make a rigorous screener.
The video below gives you more tips to find surrogate on your own.